List:       kde-kant
Subject:    [Kde-kant] Thougths on KWrite
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2001-03-05 12:21:54

Hi all,
As some of you will know I attended the Danish LinuxForum 2001 this saturday.
At that occation I had the chance to talk a bit to ao Matthias Ettrich and
show him a recent screenshot. When I told him that we are using kwrite, he
said oh, why don't you use qttext? Asked why he didn't like kwrite, he
pointed to some of the facts with kwrite that I too feel needs to be changed
before we can present a really good editor.

His first point was the thing with indent: kwrite dosen't currently allow to
set indent char and width, it uses the tab width in combination with the
"convert to chars" setting. This needs to be changed, and as the kwrite
indent() accepts a number for how much to indent, this won't present too much
of a problem.
When I said that I feel that editor profiles should possibly be managed in
named profiles with a list of MIME types so that you could have different
settings for indent, selection properties etc he agreed that that would be
really nice. I think this would be a nice feature, my suggestion is that
theese properties could be stored in xml files and managed by kwrite similar
to how highlightning is managed, though here we could keep each profile in a
file of its own.

We also discussed the bookmark issue, and my thoughts of extending the
bookmark features of kwrite in such a way that bookmarks can be created by
the client [possibly represented by a plugin] as well as by the user, and
with better use of bookmark names was well recieved too.
He mentioned that in an upcoming release of qt, regexps will support
backreferences similar to perl regexps, which I find exiting, as it will
allow me to implement some kind of "autobookmarking" feature, where a user
can have a document indexed using a regex with a backreference to decide for
the name.

Finally, he suggested that we would implement some support for emacs magic
tags, which I too think would be nice, since it will help many people to
easily migrate to kant, and surely many of us expects a good editor to react
to theese.

-anders
--
Go for a visual ride of GUI history