List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Open Issues
From:       Jonathan Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-26 19:04:58

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:42:32 +0100 (IST) Emmanuel Touzery
<manu@minds.cs.may.ie> wrote:
> Hi! I intent to contribute to this project; I asked to do this as a
> project for my master, and if this is accepted, expect to see me there
> quite oftenly!
>
> Now, please excuse me if this is stupid question, because I don't have
> access to the KDE/QT libraries right now, nor to the current code of
> Kafka.

Great to have you onboard. :-)

> >1.3) hand tuned formated html code mustn't be reformatted. Somehow
linefe
> >eds, tab and any other whitespaces has to be stored.
>
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:01:37 +0200 Stefan Mau <stefan.mau@web.de> wrote:
> > Right... a lot of problems, but is it hardly possible to use the DOM
> /Khtml
> > structure to create these things.
>
> Hmm.. doesn't the DOM handle this (at least for carriage returns?). This
> summer i did some DOM code (over XML, not HTML) and I had to check every
> time if the node was an ELEMENT_NODE because the parser was creating
> nodes for carriage returns.
>
> DOMlvl1 seems to provide a TEXT_NODE no?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929/level-one-core.html#ID-F68D08\
> 0
>
> I'd say if we have support for carriage returns only (and no whitespaces
> nor tabs), I'd be happy, especially considering the gain in work.
>

> Plus, if we have support for TEXT_NODE, we can store whatever we want
> (scripts, carriage returns, unknown tags, ...), no?
>
> So why not using DOM to store the document??

Hmmm...I suppose we could store anything we want a text node as long as
it is text. The problem is making this text update the DOM tree. E.g -
we could store a JavaScript command in the text node, but we need to
differentiate between text that is just displayed, and text that forms
the source for a document.

> BTW, the method list for khtml's DOM namespace is pretty tight:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/2.0-api/classref/khtml/full-list\
> -DOM.html
>
> This page is empty. Where can i find a good reference?

You are best off getting KDOC from the CVS or the KDOC website, and you
can use the kdelibs to generate your own documentation.

> Or are we using QDom? BTW, I understand that we cannot use QDom for
> correct and it would only work with XHTML (I understand that QDom is
> XML-based). Am I right? [and if I am, I am very interested by a good
> documentation of khtml/DOM]
> [UPDATE: this may be an answer to Stephan Heigl's question!]

AFAIK, Kafka does not currently use QDom, but the DOM API in KHTML. I
am not sure if this derives from QDom (I would check, but I am not on
my Linux box right now).

> So my questions will be:
>
> 1/ if khtml/DOM is DOM-compliant [and to my understanding supports text as
> a node, and will work properly with unknown tags], why would we need to
> create another implementation??

To make these unknown tags update the DOM tree.

> 2/ Where can I find a khtml/DOM doc (or how can I use properly the one I
> found)

See above. :-)

	Jono