List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Open Issues
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-10-26 18:22:54

On Wednesday 25 October 2000 22:33, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> Hi,
> I will write down here several issues I see at the moment. I only speak
> about the core html editor, not the gui around it.

I can't find anything missing. I think I have a small amount of answers. I
simply don't know if they are viable.

> A) loading a html page into the editor, changing it, writing it back into
> html must to be absolutely lossless.

I have written a design document for kafka a couple of months back, it seems
that I was quite ignorant about the khtml development. But in light of the
fact that khtml is open to additions I want to suggest the possebility to add
some of the ideas I had back then to the khtml code.

Please read kdenonbeta/kafka/handbook/design.txt. The bad "source-code"
chapter is very interresting IMO.

Something we could then do is to add code to the tokenizer to accept
"plugin-tokens". In normal html viewing there would be no plugins registered,
in kafka however tokens like "whitespace", "php-tag" etc, could be added.
Which would be then be stored in the dom-tree.
Example:

  <?echo $text; ?>

in normal khtml this would create
 [html]
     [texttag] <?echo $bgcolor; ?>"

But after registering the php and whitespace objects we would have
  [html]
     [kafka-whitespace]  "   "
     [kafka-php tag] "echo $bgcolor;"
     [whitespace] "\n"

Implementation specific, all kafka objects would have to subclass a
"unknown-token" in the khtml lib, some smart code would have to sneak into
the tokenizer to parse the "plugin" tokens.

> B) editing must be interactive and intiutive. This means that drag'n'drop,
> wysiwyg editing of positions and dimension (i.e. of images, tables, divs)
> is possible.

Certainly, but is this not really easy if you have a DOM? You can ask khtml
where stuff is, so finding out which token has been clicked is really easy.
All we have to do is write logic that wil do the drawing.

- --