List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Open Issues
From:       Stefan Schimanski <1Stein () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-10-25 20:33:06

Hi,
I will write down here several issues I see at the moment. I only speak about
the core html editor, not the gui around it.

First I will tell some requirement that are absolutely essential for decent
html edit IMO:

A) loading a html page into the editor, changing it, writing it back into
html must to be absolutely lossless. This means that a small change like
correcting a typo without changing the structure may only result in a small
change in the html file. All formatting, comments and so on has to be
preserved.

B) editing must be interactive and intiutive. This means that drag'n'drop,
wysiwyg editing of positions and dimension (i.e. of images, tables, divs) is
possible.

I've splitted up these requirements into smaller issues we have to found
solutions for:

1) storation of extra information
1.1) unknown tags must be preserved
1.2) comments, php3 scripts and any other unknown constructions must be stored
1.3) hand tuned formated html code mustn't be reformatted. Somehow linefeeds,
tab and any other whitespaces has to be stored.

2) special tag handling
2.1) some tags have to be displayed different in the editor than "normal"
khtml. For example active contents like Java or Plugins mustn't be rendered,
but need a sort of replacement render object.
2.3) tables has to be drawn with borders in editing mode
2.2) JavaScript mustn't be executed, but has to be displayed as a Script
object optionally
2.3) frames has to be handled completely different by embedding the editor
instead of new KHTMLParts.

3) advanced user interaction
3.1) object like tables, images, divs, iframe and so on must be
markable/selectable. A selection rectangle has to be drawn.
3.3) when selected text/objects are dragged, a target mark must be drawn that
show, where it would be inserted on drop.
3.2) tables should be resizable with drag'n'drop. A "new size" mark must be
displayed while dragging
3.3) absolute positioned <div>'s need drag'n'drop support. Maybe by
displaying a rectangle as new position and size.

Feel free to comment on these topics and add other open questions. Before we
decide for one way of implementing our editor we should have an overview how
to solve those listed issues.

Schimmi

--
#! /bin/sh
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \