List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    New Tokenizer Code - WAS(Re: Plan of attack)
From:       Jonathan Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-24 16:46:26

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:57:51 +0200 Stephan Heigl
<stephan@eisscholle.de> wrote:

> I had a discussion with Stefan Schimanski yesterday.
> He said that's perhaps better to rewrite kafka's core because it looks
> somewhat like a hack. He convinced me with some things that are impossible
> with the current design. It could be get necessary to put the khtmledit code
> into kdelibs/khtml since it will require some of khtml's interfaces. He said
> he'll talk with Lars Knoll (khtml) about that.
> The handbook isn't really useful for internal design stuff. Will there be a
> meeting to put up a designdocument for kafka's backend/core?

I have chatted to Schimmi also about this today, and all in all it
seems a watertight idea. It seems it has its good and bad points:

  Good:

  - Lets us put unknown DOM objects (such as PHP, JavaScript etc) into
a tree without a huge workaround.
  - May make Kafka clearer to code.

  Bad:
  - Could possibly slow Kafka down due to the extra level of processing.

When I last spoke to Schimmi he told me he was going to speak it over
with Lars Knoll. There *may* be an opportunity to put some of this
functionality into KHTML which would certainly make WYSIWYG web editing
functionality much more accessable to other programs.

Schimmi, could you post to the list a response to what Lars has said.

Schimmi said to me he should be able to post a detailed description of
his idea to the list around Friday. I look forward to reading his
words. :-)

	Jono