List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Proposal concerning kafa structure
From:       Holger Freyther <freyther () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-10 13:03:49

Am Sonntag, 9. Dezember 2001 18:01 schrieb Joseph Wenninger:
> Hi
Hi jowenn, all
> Just a view thoughts concerning the kafka structure
we talked about it on #kafka. Just a small site note if you han out at
irc.kde.org join #kafka as well me or some one else will be there for sure.

> KafkaPart:	This is the only real part, it allows plugins for tag editting
> and should be useable in the kafka application and in other applications
> too (eg in kmail) == WYSIWYG part
yes agreed

> KafkaDocumentManager	This handles all opened documents, which editors
> (plugins, .... ) can work with and synchronizes access to those documents.
> plugin enabled
I think it should be plugin of KafkaPart

> (The Documents itself are not qdomdocuments, but khtmlpart documents
> (pecause of parsing not XHTML docs)
so the same as they alywas were

> KafkaViewManager	This one handles all views (wysiwyg part, editors, ......)
> and displays them. This one is a plugin itself and can be SDI,MDI, ......
> in different ways.
I think  a plugin as well. KafkaPart should provide the informations for this.
> KafkaApplication/KafkaShell this one is the parent of all above things and
> encapsulates the application's configuration
KafkaApp yes but how will KafkaShell be different?

I had some thoughts as well. No code is written and there's no really api on
paper or such thing. Looking at the current source I think this should be
thedesign to go. You can find it in kdenonbeta/kafka/design.dia and
design.png.

It think KafkaPart should be a framework which does really little but provide
much api. So kafka should know which documents are open which domtree is
associated with which file and the current view. It should have a list of all
dom trees and one domtree called common. It should have this TabView Sidebar
where plugins can add theirselves. It should provide a common interface for
plugins. I thought of a projectmanagement, and mdi/sdi manager. Kafka should
really provide these possobilities without implementing those. The user
should be able to choose which plugins he want to load.
Then there will be KafkaHTMLPart and KafkaEDITORPart which provides plugin
interfaces too. The plugins of KafkaPart are acting on the current focused
view.
There should be also a MixedModePart having half wysiwyg like preview and
editing but showing also the tags.

Comments for that approach. It's really a lot like the way it is today.
How do we want to get there?
1. Lets get KafkaPart working. It should provide the api hooks and the
datastore possibilities. Get the current stuff working and a simple view
manager. Get the sidebar going
2. get KafkaHTMLPart going with Plugins. jowenn could we coordinate with your
propsdialog?
3. get a good SDI/mdi workspace working
4. DocumentManager
5. more KafkaHTMLPlugins