List:       kde-java
Subject:    Re: [Kde-java] kdejava tutorials ?
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-20 12:52:44

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Jens Saade wrote:
> I just updated to KDE2.2 and read the available infos on kdebindings/kdejava
> on http://developer.kde.org .
> I 've been programming JAVA / JSP before but don't have any experience on KDE
> programming yet. Are there any tutorials, reference guides, etc available at
> this time?
I'm afraid there isn't much documentation yet. I hope that java programmers
will be able to read C++ documentation for the KDE/Qt apis, even if they haven't
written any C++ code.

To get started with kde java programming:

- Read the README's in kdebindings/qtjava and kdejava projects

- Build the javadoc documentation for qtjava and kdejava according to the
instructions in the READMEs

- Look at the example code in qtjava/javalib/test
and kdejava/koala/test.

- Use the KBase.java example as a starting point for a
KDE app.

- The main 'gotcha' to avoid when converting C++ code to java, is that
local variables in C++, which are passed to a KDE method, sometimes need to be
turned into instance variables in java. Otherwise, the java garbage collector
can delete the variables too early (ie before C++ has finished with them).

- Ask on this list if you get stuck.

-- Richard