List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    How to deal with acceleratorclashes
From:       Rinse de Vries <Rinse () daxis ! nl>
Date:       2001-08-27 21:22:51

Hi,
the Dutch team is currently working on fixing acceleratorclashes, using DR
Klash.

Fixing clashes turns out to be very painfull.
For example, while fixing kmail, I found out that some string containing
accelerators are used on more then one place in the gui. This means that
fixing a clash in one dialog, creates new clashes in other dialogs and
menu's.
the setting dialog of kmail contains a lot of accelerators.
the tab "identity" contains 20 accelerators, which makes it impossible to
assign unique accelerators to every option. the Dutch language rarely uses
more then 18 different characters.

I also checked the English versions of several applications, and noticed that
most programs are loaded with accelerator clashes.

My question:
how does KDE deal with accelerators?
Since almost every applications has lots of clashes, I don't' think they are
of any use at this moment..
How do other translation teams deal with accelerator clashes?

Can't we get a mechanism that creates accelerators automaticly, thus
avoiding human errors?

Kind regards,
Rinse