List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: Spelling and grammar corrections
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-25 23:56:51

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 01:43, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> > On Monday 25 June 2001 18:47, Thomas Diehl wrote:

> I think part of the problem is it seems people work from the name of the
> executable, then the name gets changed later on, so the following become
> inconsistent:

Sure, and I understand how that happens.  It's just, there already is a list
of researched, discussed and approved names for things.  If we're going to
standardise on one consistent name, then that's a good place to start, don't
you think?

If there are changes to be made, then make them in the visual dictionary
first.. it's primary purpose is to explain to the user *exactly* how GUI
widgets will be referred to in the documentation... it's secondary purpose
was to give the translators a single reference point to translate against,
for the same reason - consistency.

So, start there... feel free to add new entries, I'll help you out with the
markup. In fact, this is probably the most likely candidate for a document to
be maintained by the proofreading team, not the documentation team - the more
people who comply with it, the less work you will have to do after all.

It still won't cover all cases... but there's a whole lot more in the
entities file, including the official names of the applications, where those
could be agreed upon, and including many trademarks that we've an obligation
to acknowledge in some contexts.

So, I'm not saying you won't get a say, but rather that when you've decided,
this is the place to put them and point other people to as a reference.

--
Lauri