List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    RE: Bug Report or Bugreport
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-30 13:53:34

On Tue, 1 May 2001 09:33:49 -0400 (EDT), Erik K. Pedersen wrote:

>Having spent some time translating doc-po files recently, it is actually
>an amazing difference to translating po-files, mainly I believe, because
>the original authors know English well. So I support the notion that there
>should be somebody to help the developers with their strings.

In my experience, the biggest problem are developers who think they
don't need any help. ;-) Which is why I think we'd need a regular team
(with a native speaker like Malcolm as coordinator) that has got the
official authority to enforce consistency after proper discussion of
the subject and that would _use_ that authority.

An example would be the infamous "e-mail vs. email" discussion
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=97852064712736&w=2). Although
almost all native speakers (and notably the doc people) agreed that we
should standardize on the spelling "email" we now have more of the
non-standard spelling in kcontrol than ever. Not mentioning the mixture
of US and UK spelling we still have (partly inside the GUI and the doc
files, partly in the doc files only).

Also I have to admit that for my part I still find lots and lots
spelling mistakes in the GUI files which I never report because there's
nobody really responsible for this and I don't want to bother Stephan
Kulow more than I do already with other stuff. This would certainly
change if there was a team / a person officially in charge.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/