List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE Glossary
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-30 13:39:32

On Monday 30 April 2001 15:13, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Monday, 30. April 2001 14:48, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> > I've been working on a KDE-wide glossary lately (which bases on the
> > glossary used on http://www.kde.de). I uploaded the current docbook file
> > to http://frerich.derkarl.org/glossary.docbook so that those who are
> > interested can have a look. Two issues have come up so far:
> >
> > a) As I expect the glossary to become rather big as people add entries, I
> > divided it into several sections, each section corresponding to a letter
> > in the alphabet. This might become problematic for the translators as the
> > translated expressions probably start with a different letter and should
> > therefore be moved to the respective section of the glossary. This is
> > only possible by editing the docbook by hand, so the po2xml stuff cannot
> > be used for the glossary AFAICS. Any ideas how to solve this?
>
> I think doing sorting by alphabet is a bit nonsense, sorting by logical
> groups makes much more sense if you want to sort at all. Sorting by
> alphabet can be done by some software using this glossary.

I think sorting by logical groups isn't really useful if you don't know what
group the expression belongs to. I just asked my sister, she knows nothing
about "Widget" but that it starts with "W", so that information should IMHO
be sufficient to lead her to the explanation.

> > b) It was suggested to implement the glossary in the KHelpCenter by
> > adding a third tab to the panel at the left; this additional tab could
> > act as an index, and clicking on a letter or word would show the
> > corresponding glossary entry at the right. Are there any concerns why
> > this is an unfortunate idea? Alternative approaches?
> >
> > If there are no major issues left, I'm about to commit the file to
> > kdebase/doc/glossary so that people can work on it.
>
> You still didn't tell me why you don't want them in
> doc/khelpcenter/glossary, up to now kdebase/doc/* is all about applications

I'm fine with doc/khelpcenter/glossary. :-)
It's just that kdebase/doc/glossary seems to be a compromise between all
suggestions I've see so far. Anyway, I'm fine with doc/khelpcenter/glossary.

- Frerich

--
int m,u,e=0;float l,_,I;main() {for(;e<1863; putchar((++e>924&&952>
e?60-m:u) ["\n .:ed.xmg@ebaarhcirerf:.   ]"])) for(u=_=l=0;(m=e%81)