List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: bloated docbook files
From:       Eric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2001-01-30 16:49:45

> | 1) A significant part of the "aktion" documentation
> | (roughly 1000 lines!) describes the C++ classes used
> | by the program - technical stuff like this should be
> | put into a separate plain text document.
>
> All documentation was originally planned to go in one file.

Well, the source file can be splitted. The html output is splitted into pages
as well. But yes, it's always in one <book>.

I think that the real problem with big docs is to allow small teams to
translate them slowly/partially.

I think that the model is what we do for the control center:
- one main docbook file with only inclusions of the chapters or parts
- plus one file per chapter/part.

It would be better if untranslated parts could safely be missing. I can
remember when I translated modules of kcontrol when we were at KDE 2.0: I was
not able to render to HTML before we had translated *all* the files. It was
very frustrating and prevented from proofreading what I did.

So my idea would be to do some magic copies from the English sources for
missing files in order to replace the missing bits.

Does this sound surrealistic?