List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Updated documentation
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-11 17:08:53

O documenters,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2000 12:58, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > FWIW, I've been polishing the KPilot docs (in kdepim/kpilot/kpilot/doc/en)
> > and it compiles with jade, but I have no idea if I'm KDE docs-standards
> > compliant. Is there anyone (like Mike?) who does that kind of validation?

> Yes, me.

Ah. Excellent. I was wondering whether things like "Installation" were
still required, since KPilot is now part of kdepim (it used to be a
separate package). I'll leave that to you when, um, I get around to it.

> It's very important that all and any documentation changes are coordinated
> through Mike though.  If we have no idea that a developer or someone else is
> working on the docs, then we're likely to assign an author to start a
> rewrite, especially for docs that have been long untouched and then there is
> needlessly duplicated work.

On that I am totally in agreement -- I'm a developer, not a documentation
writer (betcha ol' Bones never said that) -- but I also haven't a clue
about what exactly is the matter with the docs. So your answer helps a
bunch.

On another note: I noticed all my .desktop files got patched last
week. Are all .desktop files automagically picked up for translation or
should I announce them somewhere? If I produce a .desktop file can I just
stick in the translations for all the west-european languages myself? Or
is that just counter-productive?

> So a reminder: before you touch any docs for purposes other than translation,
> please let Mike know about it.

I take it he reads the list and knows about it now.

Then Frederick Fouvry wrote:

,-- Op Mon, 11 Dec heeft Adriaan de Groot me het volgende geschreven:

| FWIW, I've been polishing the KPilot docs (in kdepim/kpilot/kpilot/doc/en)
| and it compiles with jade, but I have no idea if I'm KDE docs-standards

Ghe. Like your i18n there.

> BTW: Shouldn't the doc be in kdepim/doc/kpilot/ instead?  For sure the

I have no idea. If you say so, sure. I'll drop coolo a message to move
that stuff. [One thing I'm missing on i18.kde.org is "I'm a developer and
have NO idea how to coordinate with the i18n team, what now?"]

> name of the file must be index.docbook.  And try to keep everything in
> one file: not all scripts will parse the SGML to know if there's any
> more lying round.  Furthermore, document specific entities have been
> outlawed ;-) for maintenance reasons, except for the few that are
> allowed (see prologue of template.docbook).  The general entities you
> can use are defined in

OK, this affects me only in two places: I currently have the docs split
into multiple files and I have two application-specific entities (&kpilot;
and &pilot; -- I guess I can replace &kpilot; with &appname;).

Now that you mention template.docbook I've looked at it again and a fair
bit has changed since I first wrote docbook docs for KPilot. I still think
that

	<!ENTITY kappname "&kapp;" -- blabla >

is confusing in the example, but hey.

Anyway, I'll give a shout when I've got a sufficiently complete new set of
docs.