List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE tarballs released to the packagers
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       2000-10-17 12:13:13

Kim Enkovaara wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Eric Bischoff wrote:
>
> > > So if you want to commit regulary to both branches, you better keep
> > > two copies.
> >
> > Hmmm... This is somehow of a problem because most people will want to
> > commit to both branches most of the time, at least during a certain
> > time. So I think it's a good idea to use systematically update -A.
>
> I think the easiest way to handle this is just to check out the two
> different branches and use cp command when the file is wanted to both
> branches.

Not everyone has free gigabytes :-(.

> For messages this is more difficult because the head will start
> to integrate changes and the the messages will not be stable. It might be
> easier to make the translations good in 2.0 branch and once in a while do
> msgmerge to the head. And when the 2.0 branch is good enough just jump to
> the head branch to complete the translations there also.

Messages and documentation are very different in essence on that
respect. I don't think we will start documenting KDE 2.0.1 applications
when they will be developped, I think it's better if we concentrate on
finishing writing KDE 2.0 documentation and translating it. Mike, do you
agree? If you agree, it means that the editorial team should stop
installing the latest snaphot and should work only with a bare bones KDE
2.0.

Is there an opportunity to work only on one branch for documentation and
have the changes automatically applied to the pther branch at a certain
point of time?

If we work just the usual way (without -A or two directories), where
will our changes be applied? To the HEAD branch and therefore to KDE
2.0.1, if I understand well? This is exactly the contrary of what we
need, if I'm right when I say that we finish the KDE 2.0 doc first.

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.