List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: XML stylesheet editor
From:       "Chris Willmot" <chris () willmot ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-09-29 18:02:27

Lauri,

----- Original Message -----
From: Lauri Watts <vampyr@atconnex.net>
To: <kde-i18n-doc@master.kde.org>
Cc: <chris@willmot.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 9:33 PM

> I agree.  WYSIWYG is totally the wrong approach... something like KLyX
> that is WYSIWM (what you see is what you mean) is more appropriate for
> DocBook in particular, xml in general.

Yes.  That is much more what I had in mind.  I find it hard to be concise,
clear and accurate all at the same time. ;-)  I was trying to say "an
editing environment that is much richer and more flexible than emacs' psgml,
with styles, drag-and-drop and so on".

For me, a computer is a tool to think with.  When writing, I think 'title',
'section', 'reference' etc. but the syntax gets in the way.  I would like to
develop an environment where each author could effectively customize the
markup (visually) so that it makes it easier for them to think about the
content and it's structure.  Far from trying to hide the conceptual
structure, I am proposing a tool which should help to make it more
comfortable, and more accessible to those with no taste for technical
detail.

My idea was that by using XSL for the presentation side, it would make
direct editing of *stylesheets* possible, too.  At present, most people are
woefully dependent on the results of a few wizards' efforts.  If I was
intending to hide anything, it would probably be the more complex bits of
XPath and XSLT, in an attempt to give people power over their own
presentation.

Chris Willmot