List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: Life beyond 2.0
From:       Kim Enkovaara <kenkovaa () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       2000-08-28 6:13:23

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Marko Samastur wrote:

> Almost right. I agree it's not realistic to expect to get all
> translations in sync with more frequent releases, but it would be nice
> if translators got at least a week to try. If we don't, there's
> absolutely NO chance that we'll get in synch and it would show what some

I think one idea to stabilize the messages would be that from each relase
we would create a CVS branch where we would develop the stable
translations.

Then some scripting guru would write a script to run msgmerge between the
stable branch and main branch to synchronize the changes made to the
stable version to the main version (manual script run by the translation
team leader). That way the work done for the stable version would benefit
the unstable CVS version. After the main version stabilizes it's easy to
transfer the translation work there again.

I don't think this is beneficial for the 2.0.0 version because I think
that we'll get 2.0.1 quite soon to fix the problems people find. Beta
testing always leaves bugs to the product. So we might guess that
fixes made to CVS go to the released version in reasonable time period.

The biggest problem in this is how to use efficiently branches in CVS. I
know how to write viewspecs to ClearCase to handle those branch things
automatically for the user, but how much work does CVS require to
achieve this?