List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Thanks but ...
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-07-23 18:51:37

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Wang Jian wrote:

> I notice that desktop.po in zh_CN.GB2312 is now UTF-8. The PO header
> shows that you use KBabel to convert it. But I hadn't received any
> message about it, so I spent some time to figure out what on earth the
> messy translation means when I checkout the latest po.

Sorry about that, but we are getting ready for the next beta now and
everything has to work. That means that all desktop.po files _has_ to be
in UTF-8.

> It is long that KDE 2.0 needs desktop.po in UTF-8.
> But I didn't convert it because I use 'vi' to do translation. KBabel
> is not suitable for zh_CN.GB2312 as working tool( How can I input

I don't know because I don't use chinese. kbabel isn't any different from
any other KDE applications -- how do you do it with them?

> fast? And KBabel doesn't work for zh_CN.GB2312 yet with official KDE
> 1.91 release)

Doesn't work? What's wrong?

> A UTF-8 po means that I must convert it from and to UTF-8. Although I
> can live with it, I truly think that conversion on the fly when
> building the binary is better. Anyway if the current scheme is necessary

Some things might be better, but as long as it doesn't work we will have
to live with that, no?

> for KBabel, I accept it.

It's necessary to make KDE work. It's a bit meaningless to translate
desktop.po if we can't use the translation.

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org