List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Thanks but ...
From:       Wang Jian <lark () linux ! net ! cn>
Date:       2000-07-23 16:09:39

Hello Hans,

I notice that desktop.po in zh_CN.GB2312 is now UTF-8. The PO header
shows that you use KBabel to convert it. But I hadn't received any
message about it, so I spent some time to figure out what on earth the
messy translation means when I checkout the latest po.

It is long that KDE 2.0 needs desktop.po in UTF-8.
But I didn't convert it because I use 'vi' to do translation. KBabel
is not suitable for zh_CN.GB2312 as working tool( How can I input
fast? And KBabel doesn't work for zh_CN.GB2312 yet with official KDE
1.91 release)

A UTF-8 po means that I must convert it from and to UTF-8. Although I
can live with it, I truly think that conversion on the fly when
building the binary is better. Anyway if the current scheme is necessary
for KBabel, I accept it.

--
  lark