List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Call for opinions:  "American English" or "European English"
From:       Logi Ragnarsson <logir () logi ! org>
Date:       2000-05-31 11:45:21

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 01:06:30PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > Does this mean there is already a guideline for developpers to write
> > application messages in US English ?
> Sure. Having changed some Colours already... :)

> > If yes, then the documentation should be US english too, of course, with
> > some "translation" possible in en_GB ;-)

OK, I agree that it is probably best to standardize on American English,
unplesant though it is, but what do you do when there is a programmer in the
UK, Australia or wherever they speak proper English (and spell it right,
too) who naturally writes his programme in English, but isn't part of the
KDE team and doesn't care the least about what language KDE is standardized
on. Shouldn't it be possible to translate this program into American
English? I.e. shouldn't there be a en_US locale so that this translateion
can be made?

In fact, what if there is a programme with a German, French or Hebrew UI,
for example? Shouldn't it also be possible to translate this into en_US?

Of course, it will be no problem to translate them into en_GB and it seems
odd to leave out en_US.

In fact, I think there should be an en_US locale for KDE with no
translations at all. I.e, it would fail spectacularly to be accepted for the
betas :). Then Americans could choose this locale to have any non-KDE
programmes translated and it would allow us to fix errors in the messages in
the programme without breaking all translations, simply by adding a
translation to en_US. This could therefore be done after the messages are
frozen. The alternative being to keep the mistakes in the American version
of the programme.

Just my 200 lire (2 lire wouldn't do it justice)

Logi

--=20
Logi Ragnarsson <logir@logi.org>      PGP/GPG key ID: 1024R/42935585