List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: "Clicking" a button?
From:       Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes <ai98ghk () stud ! hib ! no>
Date:       2000-05-29 13:46:22

Stefan Doll wrote:

> On Sun, 28 May 2000, Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes wrote:
> > While translating the help messages that appears in various kdebase files, I
> > see many messages telling the user to "click a button". "Clicking" a button
> > is the mouse user's way of operating a button, with keyboards and
> > touchscreens and others you never "click".
> >
> > All instances of phrases like "clicking a button" should be changed to
> > "pressing a button", which covers all methods.
>
> I don't know - considering that 99% of the users will use a mouse (I'm guessing)
> will this really help much? It does sound a bit cumbersome (and a lot of work,
> too.) By the same token - touchscreen users can probably make the connection
> anyways - it seems a very well-introduced term.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Well, I would consider it just bad language (although I'm not an English
language expert in any way). "Clicking" isn't the only way to operate a
button; "press" or "push" covers every way. But it seems you're right -
the term is widely used (according to style guides for various GUIs).

BTW, touchscreen users "tap" at the screen.

Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes
 Coordinator of Norwegian (Nynorsk) KDE translation