List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: verbar?
From:       Frederik Fouvry <fouvry () sfs ! nphil ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       2000-05-23 10:03:39

,-- On Mon, 22 May, David Rugge wrote:

| On Sun, 21 May 2000, David Rugge wrote:
|
| >I honestly don't know if &verbar; is a real entity or not. The entities I
| >remember using are the &lt; and &gt; mostly.
| >
| >I'll give you a better answer when I boot back into Linux.  I don't have
| >access to my docs files from Windows.
|
| Okay, I just checked the pre-docbook file and the only entities that I used
| were &lt; and &gt; so the &verbar; probably happened as a result of the
| linuxdoc to docbook conversion.

Nope.  It is a LinuxDoc SGML entity, and the conversion kept it
wherever it was used, since it's also an ISO entity.  You're probably
right that the entity does not occur in the file (nsgmls does not
transform `&verbar;' into `|'; the conversion did not), but LinuxDoc
SGML used maps, one of which contained the mapping from `|' to
`&verbar;'.  The rest of the story we know.

--
Frederik Fouvry		-	fouvry@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de
KDE DocBook Team	-	kde-docbook@master.kde.org