List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: internationalization bugs
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-18 14:35:44

Logi Ragnarsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have found a couple of bugs in the internationalization. Am I correct that
> if I post it here, someone who knows what they are doing (or will learn
> quickly ;-) will fix things up?
For now I do this as time permits.

> 1) The word "Flat" seems to be re-used between the toolbar pop-up dialogue
> box and the background settings in kcmdisplay. A flat background is
> definately not the same as a flattened toolbar, even if by some strange
> coincidence the same word can be used in English.
Enhanced.

> 2) This text from filetypres.pot is ambiguous (and the corresponding text
> with "higher" and "up"):
>
> "Assigns a lower priority to the selected application, moving it down in the "
> "list. Note that this only affects the selected file type if the same "
> "application is associated with other file types."
>
> This could either mean (as it should) that it only affects the priority of
> the selected application when choosing an application to handle files of
> this type or, that if this application is only associated with a single file
> type, then pressing this button will have no effect. This could confuse a
> newbie quite a bit.
Well, the problem it confuses _me_ :)  Can someone please suggest another text,
I would be lucky to put it in place.

> 3) konsole doesn't respect the internationalized name of the first session.
> It will always be called "Terminal Nr 1", even though the subsequent ones
> are named "Skel Nr 2", "Skel Nr 3", etc.
Report a bug. this is not a i18n problem

> 4) This is obviously not a good sentence:
>
> #: konq_mainview.cc:1753
> msgid ""
> "Click this button to display of your home directory<br><br>\n"
> "\n"
> "You can configure the path your home directory in the<b>File Manager "
>
> I suggest that the "of" be removed.
Well, I moved it in between path and your.

> That's it. I hope someone has fun with this and I look forward to removing
> the fuzzies this will generate :)

> Would it be a good idea to write a script for whoever is doing these
> corrections that changes all the po files *without* marking them fuzzy?
No.

> I.e. you update the sources, rebuild the pot files and run this script. The
> script compares the new pot files with the old pot files and assumes that
> all changes are from corrections in spelling, etc. in the english text and
> that the translations don't need to be updated. It then modifies the po
> files accordingly.

How can you know?

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.