List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to test desktop.mo in KDE2 without committing to CVS
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-04-17 19:59:50

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Sivakumar Shanmugasundaram wrote:

> I am still to find a way to test desktop.mo in KDE2.
> I can see my translation for applications
> (like kcontrol, kedit,...), but the desktop.po
> translation is not appearing in my KDE start menu. It
> still shows English.

Really? I just tried the ta translation:
* installed my new patch for KDE and Qt
* installed a TSCII font as "helvetica" and selected TSCII as charset in
  kcmlocale.

I got it up and runing. Of couse they was all showed as "????" the
desktop.po file was converted using recode latin1..utf8. THerefore I
decided to convert it to _real_ unicode UTF-8.

I did some more testing -- and it works like one would expect. I guess I
can commit my patches to the trolls now. BTW: You'll fine some updated
patches in a few hours. Please try them out.

Here is a step by step HOWTO for testing desktop files:
* start kbabel
* open the catalouge manager
* open desktop.po
* translate
* commit the changes
* wait till the next (central European) morning (important)
* do cvs update in kdebase
* reinstall kdebase
* restart KDE2

do {
    for (int i = 0; i < 9; i++)
        do_step(i);
} while true;

:-)))

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org