List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to test desktop.mo in KDE2 without committing to CVS
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-28 6:23:44

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:18:32 -0800 (PST), Sivakumar Shanmugasundaram
wrote:

>I am sorry to repeat this question. Reason being I
>dont know where to search the mail archives (if this
>group has any?).

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc (see the appendix of the
Translation HOWTO: "Tools and Resources for KDE Translators").

>Okay. The language in question is Tamil. I have
>partially translated desktop.po to Tamil. I want to
>see how this all appears on my desktop. I have
>compiled and
>using the CVS version of KDE2.
>the steps i have done so far is 'make && make
>install'. the desktop.mo files are copied to the
>appropriate locale directories. But when i pick up the
>Tamil
>language, from the control panel, Tamil does not
>appear on the menus.

From a message by Hans Petter Bieker on March 22
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=95373747417654&w=2):

---
The desktop.mo file is not used by KDe
itself. Coolo runs some scripts which merges the .desktop files with your
translation. You will have to commit the file to test it (or run merging
youself).

Don't forget that the desktop.po file has to be in UTF-8 and that the file
has to be tagged as "utf8" or "utf-8" as well!
---

Regards,

Thomas

---