List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    MINI-HOWTO: Testing your PO-files from your local CVS repositorie
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () interplus ! ro>
Date:       2000-03-14 16:21:42

                 SUPER-MINI-HOWTO
Install & test PO files from your local CVS repositories

Abstract:

  This is intended for translators who have CVS access
to "kde-i18n" and don't want to download a prepackaged
tar.bz2 to "steal" installing Makefiles. Also, this will
leave clean your repositories from generated "Makefiles".
Bellow settings will speed up translate,-try-and-fix
process for you translating work.

A) Prerequisites:

  You need to have a "mc" (Midnight Commander). We will use
this beautifully shell program to speed up our actions. GNU
gettext must be installed. Kbabel is a cake for most of us
who need powerfully search capabilities and a very intuitive
Catalog Manager. However you can keep your emacs or vi
running if you not plan to write directly in UTF8 encoding.
You must have $KDEDIR environment variable set to your
KDE2 directory.

B) Preparing your locale directory:

  By default, ${KDEDIR}/share/locale/ contain "C" and "l10n"
subdirs. You need to make or symlink your language dir.
For Romanian I make:

     ln -s l10n/ro ro

Replace "ro" with your language.
  To tell klocale what charset you use for MO files
create a charset file:

   echo iso-8859-2 > ${KDEDIR}/share/locale/ro/charset

In above command you need 2 replacement.
  1) iso-8859-2 must be replaced by your language encoding
(e.g. for Greek you need iso-8859-7)
  2) "ro" must be replaced by your language  (e.g. "el", "hu", "ch")

C) Setting up Midnight Commander:

Now we will ad some shortcuts to your personal menu
(executed by pressing F2). Edit
 "~/.mc/menu" file from your personal directory. If you
not have one, just run:
   cp /usr/lib/mc/mc.menu ~/.mc/menu

Now insert below lines in top of your "menu" file:
------ cut here ------- cut here -------- cut here ------

= f \.po$  & t r
1       ******** Show statistics about PO file
        msgfmt --statistics %f
        rm -f messages

= f \.po$  & t r
2       ******** Compile and install PO file
        baza=`basename %f .po`
        msgfmt -o ${baza}.mo %f
        cp -f ${baza}.mo ${KDEDIR}/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/
        rm -f ${baza}.mo

------ cut here ------- cut here -------- cut here ------

NOTE: Replace "ro" in "${KDEDIR}/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/"
with your language

OK. Above things will bring you two new commands for use in
mc. Let's try them. Move your selections bar on one PO-file
and press "F2", then press "1". Well, now press "Ctrl+o"
and you will see statistics for that file. Easy isn't?
Let install it. Press "F2" and then "2". You need to
have write permission in ${KDEDIR}/share/locale/(your_lang)/LC_MESSAGES/.

D) Making localizations to work

   Step 1: Changing your ".bash_profile"

     echo LAN=ro > ~/.bash_profile

where "ro" is replaced as I explained above.

  Step 2: Setting KDE2.0prealpha

     Start KDE2.0 and then open "kcontrol".
In "Desktop->Language" section set all items
to your language.

  Step 3: Installing "kdelibs.mo"

The "secret" action to enable your apps  display
strings in your language is to install "kdelibs.mo".
Without this file nothing happen. To install, run
this in your locale CVS directory where kdelibs.po
reside:

        msgfmt -o kdelibs.mo kdelibs.po
        cp -f kdelibs.mo ${KDEDIR}/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/
        rm -f kdelibs.mo

Do not forget to replace "ro" string!

E)  Epilog

    Finishing above settings will enable you to add MO files
and test it. Will be great to read "Translation-HOWTO" write
by Thomas Diehl. It's a shame for me, but I don't read it
beacause of time. Altough, I've started to translate it.
It's good to make this for your translation team. Please have
a look to http://i18.kde.org/
    Fell free to make comments. I hope you are happy with this MINI-HOWTO.

kind regards,
--
Claudiu COSTIN       claudiuc@interplus.ro