List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: UTF8 and translations
From:       Roman Maurer <roman.maurer () hermes ! si>
Date:       2000-02-08 12:43:15

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Well, if you're not able to do it yourself in your team,
> Hans-Peter Bieker offered to help.

The question is not whether we know how to do conversion to UTF-8,
but if we *would like* to do this *now* (I realise that Unicode will
prevail sooner or later).

E. g., everyone has support for ISO 8859-2 in Emacs and vi, but I,
for one, don't have UTF-8 support in Emacs nor in vi.

> There wasn't even a real discussion. But for now I left the decision
> to every team. KDE is for the moment able to handle other charsets
> as well.

Does this mean that KDE 2.0 will work in Unicode anyway and will
correctly respect "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-2"
and translate it to UTF-8 on-the-fly?  Or will the decision just
be postponed?

> Yes, desktop.po files without charset=utf[-]8 entry are simply
> ignored.

Er ...  The question is not if we want to do conversion to UTF-8,
we were forced to do it.  :-)

I assume that this is so because entry.desktop for individual language
is generated from all other desktop.po's and if there wasn't any
standard, strange characters may appear?
--
	Pozdrav,
	  Roman