List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kde-i18n/no/docs/common
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-27 19:08:31

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:02:27 +0000, Stephan Kulow wrote:

>> I thought we said earlier that license should NOT be translated,
>> due to too many possible interpretations, and due to the fact that
>> translators are probably not lawyers ?
>>
>> Or ?
>>
>Well, users still want to know what the license is about, no? It
>can't be a one-to-one translation though due to the problems outlined
>above.

The main problem is probably that the translation of a license is not
legally binding. Apart from that, there are good translations to quite
a few languages at least for the GPL (see
www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html#translations)

I think this problem is just under thorough discussion in the docbook
list.

Regards,

Thomas