List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Kbabel: bugs + enhancements
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () interplus ! ro>
Date:       2000-01-22 11:38:29

          Dear Matthias,

  Kbabel is powerfull. Thanks for your work!
  To improve to breath taking read below:

  BUGS

  a) To small "Preferences" dialog

  In "Preferences" dialog when I switch from
user section to Catalog Manager, because
buttons and linetext widgets require more space
they are cuted. I need to redimension dialog
and to move slider to have access at "Browse"
buttons. My system work at 1024x768 with
Helvetica ISO8859-2 11 point system font.
This details I think will help you somewhat
if you worked at kabel for other resolution.

  b) "Browse" require to choose a file

  In "Catalog Manager" from "Preferences" dialog
is a bug. To locate my PO directory I press
"Browse". But "Browse" dialog don't let me
to choose simple directory. I must choose
a file first and after that it accept "OK".
After this, I manually remove trailing file
to keep only desired directory part.
  This explanation aply for POT directory too.

  ENHANCEMENTS

  a) I want textbox fonts to be customizable

  For translating large text which fit in
most cases in messageboxes, many translators
align their text translated. Other cases
reside on vertical alignment like kcmdisplay.po
for X server parameters. This are examples.
On the other hand for high X resolutions is
impractical to change system font size just
to see good text on textboxes from Kabel.
  So, I want to allow to change text font
and size for textboxes from principal window
(e.g.: original text, translated text, comments)

  b) I need to see space characters

  Text editing of PO have an advantage you see
quotes ("). Kbabel don't provide this and is good
(no more concern with accidentaly erased quotes).
But I need to see spaces. If I have e.g.
"File ", " and " on Kbabel I cannot se trailing
spaces. This is not good.
  My solution is to highlight actual text background in
textboxes. This color is needed to be customizable
do to KDE themes/colors personalization. I repeat
customizable and not to choose from KDE current
colors pallete: e.g: if I have white background,
I will choose lightyellow (#FFFFE7).
  Combined with fixed font (from section (a))
translators can count/observe in one shot
needed or badly space characters.

kind regards,
--
Claudiu COSTIN       claudiuc@interplus.ro