List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Disappointed
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-18 7:10:01

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:06:17 +0100, Marko Samastur wrote:

> ...Sure, I can get it to work if I'm willing
> to corrupt 1.1.2 and yes, it doesn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes of
> furious typing to get 1.1.2 back, but I'd prefer if I didn't have to do
> that, since I do use my computer also for serious work and my free time
> is not limitless...
> If anybody can help me how to do this, I'd very like to hear from
> him/her (I did try to use --prefix option with configure, but no luck).

Not sure if I can help you with this. As everybody knows I'm not a
developer or system expert and the Developer HOWTO seems somewhat
outdated in this respect. But since nobody else is jumping in so far...

On my machines, 1x and 2-pre-alpha are running smoothly without
any real problem. They only get mixed up if I forget to set the
$PATH variable to find the KDE2 stuff before the 1x programs. Something
like "export PATH=/kde2dir/bin:$PATH" is usually enough to fix this.

What I'm doing on a SuSE 6.2 system is the following:

*   Compile a recent Qt snapshot from ftp.troll.no in ~/qt2 (maybe
someone else can tell us about the recommended version -- there were
problems last week with the most recent ones)

*   Get a recent version of the KDE2 source to ~/kde2_src and compile
them in the usual order (kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase, whatever next,
including koffice) like this:

$ make -f Makefile.cvs
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/thd/kde2 --with-qt-dir=/home/thd/qt2 \
--with-qt-includes=/home/thd/qt2/include --with-qt-libraries=/home/thd/lib

If I compiled this stuff earlier I remove the configure cache first.

*  To use KDE2 stuff I set the following variables (mostly via the
.profile of a separate user named "kde2"):

export PATH=/home/thd/kde2/bin:$PATH
export QTDIR=/home/thd/qt2
export KDEDIR=/home/thd/kde2
export WINDOWMANAGER=/home/thd/kde2/bin/startkde

Some of this might be system specific (eg the WINDOWMANAGER thing).

This is about all. Some apps (like KBabel) can even be
started from inside KDE 1x after starting the dcopserver.

Kind regards,

Thomas