List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: some questions about translating KDE2
From:       Wolfram Diestel <wdiestel () debis ! com>
Date:       1999-12-08 7:43:27

I wrote:

>> If I use an unicode font they appear as the Latin-1-equivalents,
>> using a Latin-3 font I get question marks. So I suppose that
>> the translations in the *.po files are always treated
>> as Latin-1 when recoding with QString.fromLocal8Bit.
>> Setting LC_CTYPE to eo or eo.iso-8859-3 doesn't help.

Stephan:

> Hmm, my belief is that the charset is taken from the charset
> file installed. What I'm not too sure about is if it's taken
> into account in any way. I really don't know. But as you say
> I guess not.

Hm I was a little bit confused by a comment
about LC_CTYPE in the code of kloacle.cpp.

After examining the thing more profundly I found,
that in the KDE stuff the translations aren't recoded
anyway, the problem is in the function
QString.fromLocale8Bit which is used in KLocale::translate
for the result string.

This function derives a codec from the language given
in the LANG environment variable and knowing nothing
about "eo" it defaults to the Latin-1 codec.

After a patch in Qt and setting LANG=eo it works now.
I would prefer not to depend on the LANG variable
and move to UTF-8 translations in the future, but
it's ok for the moment.

Wolfram.

--
Wolfram Diestel, debis-sfi GS Leipzig