List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: RFC: include SGML-/Snapshot-links in docs
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1999-12-01 23:30:01

Le Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Frederik Fouvry a écrit :
> So in short, I'm not against it, but there are the following things to
> consider:
> - PS will be provided together with HTML at some stage (or am I
>   mistaken in this?);

Hmmm... I doubt they will be provided "together". I imagine some kind of
"on-demand" distribution of the PostScript.

> - the scripts that create the distribution will be a bit more
>   complicated because they need to know what file the HTML comes from,
>   I'm not sure whether this information is available in the style
>   sheets, in which case it gets a bit fragile.  Moreover, there will
>   be a period of inconsistency when the SGML file is updated, and the
>   HTML file isn't yet.

Right

> - All SGML documentation will have (or already has) a fixed place
>   somewhere, so if that is advertised clearly, there is no need to
>   make the link in the documentation itself.  It is fairly easy to
>   add a standard text to the documentation on where to find the source
>   of the documentation - as long as it's standard.

Right

> Important note: the documentation is not always up-to-date with the
> latest version of the software, so that the programmes might have even
> got a different home page!  Whereas in the previous point, I can see
> the use of it, I don't think it is useful to know where the latest
> snapshot is.  And it is a snapshot after all - it would be better to
> take the latest release, and the documentation of different languages
> should be able to point to different releases: what is the strategy to
> follow: point to the latest, or point to the version of the software
> of which the documentation was translated?  As Eric mentioned, there
> are some maintenance problems with this.

Right (sorry to repeat myself ;-) )

> Well, it's not too hard to do it, but it cannot really be enforced in
> SGML, which means that you cannot rely on it.  But we could ask the
> documentation authors to do it (but because they're not always the
> developers, again, it is not reliable).

Right

> I like the proposals as such, but for maintenance reasons, they're a
> bit hard to enforce.

I suggest we keep them in mind, but we do not implement them right now.

Eric
                                           \^o~_.
     /V\         Toys story         \__  \/  (  V
     Tux                    Konqui         \__=v