List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: PNG => GIF
From:       "dim" <dim () pharm ! sunysb ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-06 17:51:05

> I guess that a transparent background is possible with PNG, since it is
> intended as a replacement for GIF. But I would also like to know.

PNG has much better support of transparency than GIF. Images in PNG can have for \
example semitransparency  and this is absolutely great for pictures with \
antialiasing. Also, it has support for true color. This means if you want to get a \
nice png it should be done from an original high quality picture (in tiff format or \
something similar) when it is possible and gif->png conversion should be used only as \
a last resort. Do we have such images somewhere?

One thing puzzles me.    Many browsers still don't understand PNG.  If documents like \
FAQ (that should be visible from the web) will have PNG format A LOT of people will \
not be able to see the images in such documents.

Dima