List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: PNG => GIF
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1999-07-06 17:09:31

Le Mon, 05 Jul 1999, Lee Wee Tiong a écrit :
> > KDE 2.0 will have minimal GIF loading support (for konqeror) only. Please start
> > to convert the GIF images used in user manuals, the KDE FAQ and in all other
> > documentation to PNG.
>
> for the KDE FAQ it's really easy.  I just need to edit the ksgml2html
> script, the nif file and covert logotp3.gif to png.  In fact, I was
> about to do it when I discovered that there was something that I
> couldn't do.  Could anyone tell me how to I make the background of
> logotp3.gif transparent (white?)?  Or better still, could anyone please
> do it for me?  It's brown (?) in colour and if I convert it to PNG, it's
> going to show on all the HTML files.  Yucks!  Of course, this is purely
> a KDE FAQ matter and if you guys want to do all the documentation
> together, it can wait.

I guess that a transparent background is possible with PNG, since it is
intended as a replacement for GIF. But I would also like to know.

Just do it as an experiment with logotp3.gif and tell me how you did. Someone
(like me) should do the work of converting all the other remaining gifs and
modifying the sgml sources. There are quite a lot of screenshots to convert.

Eric