List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    XFont for charset iso-8859-14
From:       =?ISO-8859-1?Q? "Se=E1n" ?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q? "=D3" ?= Ceallaigh <s_oceallaigh () yah
Date:       1999-06-09 2:20:14

Dia daoibh!
Hello!

Is mise Seán Ó Ceallaigh.

I'm Seán Ó Ceallaigh and I'm the new team
coordinator for the Irish language (symbol ga).
I'm currently learning about gettext and the
other tools used.  I do have a question
concerning character sets.

Irish can work with Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1).  But
there is a new charset (ISO-8859-14) which is
specific to Celtic languages.  In fact it also
supports an older diacritic used in Irish and
it is called the séimhiú which is a softening
or lenition of certain consonants and represented
by a dot above it.  Now charset ISO-8859-14
supports Irish, Scots Gaelic, Manx, Welsh,
Cornish, and Breton.  I note that Breton is
currently using charset Latin-1 in KDE.  Irish
can likewise get by with charset Latin-1 for
now.  It also looks like support for this
new ISO-8859-14 is not present in console-tools
of most current distributions.  I'm running
SuSE 6.1 and there is no support for that
new charset.  So I'm leaning towards just
using Latin-1.

Has anyone ever seen any Xfonts for charset
ISO-8859-14?

Thanks,

Sean Ó Ceallaigh

s_oceallaigh@yahoo.com