List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Doc Coordinator
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <th.diehl () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-28 14:20:12

On Thu, 27 May 1999 21:20:42 -0400, dim wrote:

> Before anyone is going to be a coordinator, he/she should to understand
> what we are expecting from the person. Would be nice if coordinators of each \
> language speak out their wishes and expectations.

Definitely. For my own expectations please see the msg to Eric
Bischoff. (I'm sending BCCs to everybody who showed some interest in
this discussion since we apparently have list server problems again.)

> It is a big pain to go to cvs every time you need to get a document. And I am still \
> not sure that I use the right cvs branch when I do this. Should it be 1.1, 2.0,1.0? \
> It is confusing, especially at first. This must be done in a more simple way, so \
> translators  who are not familiar with CVS, branches, etc. could do their job \
> (translation).

Well, there's Web-CVS as an alternative for smaller check outs. And
there already was some discussion about the 1.x/2.0 thing here a while
back. (The result was: translators should stop working on the
1_1_BRANCH.) Also Stephan Kulow promised a while back to mirror the
highscore list on the web site again.

But, basically, I agree we need a better infrastructure for the doc and
translation teams that makes it easier on newcomers, non-programmers,
and old hands alike to get the information they need. I know of efforts
in the Icelandic, Slovak, and German teams that just need to be
coordinated. And, probably, there's a lot of other stuff that could be
useful to all national teams but somehow never was publicly announced.

> Also, there is no easy way to check, are translated documents still up to date with \
> English versions.

I think you can also apply "diff" commands via Web-CVS, not only in
CVS. (See http://kdecvs.stud.fh-heilbronn.de/cvsweb/kde-i18n/docs/) And
among the  infrastructural" stuff mentioned above there's also a
document statistic that is supposed to show just this kind of
information you are looking for. At the moment, there's only a German
prototype. But as soon as the new doc structure and the DTD issues get
a little more stable we'll do an international version or show at least
how something like this could be done for other languages.

Kind regards,

Thomas