List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: moved docs finally
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <th.diehl () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-18 14:45:29

On Tue, 18 May 1999 16:51:02 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:

>I have exactly no idea what the new system will look like, but I'm sure
>the tools will differ. That's the main point.

Don't know, either, what the result will exactly look like. But from
what Rene said I presume the process will be similar to the one we now
have: we are going to run our SGML files through sgmltools (2x in this
case) + jade and get HTML pages that we _could_ use on the KDE web site
-- at least for stuff like FAQ and user guide where this makes some
sense. (I'm sending a Cc to Rene. Maybe he can jump in here.)

These HTML pages could be made by the teams just as they are done now,
at least for the time being. Ideally, they could be picked up by a
script there when the file date has changed and copied to www. As you
know, I'm still hazy about CVS and never really understood how the www
stuff made it from CVS to the KDE web site. But what I imagine should
be something similar -- _only_ for HTML and _only_ for very few things
of general interest like FAQ, QuickStart and, maybe, the UserGuide.

>> >Til then I would suggest to add a "work under construction paragraph"
>> >to the web pages.

>I don't think, that users judge on "is there a tgz for spanish
>documentation
>of kscd on www.kde.org". You can tell everyone to get cvsup and look at
>kde-i18n or tell the maintainer of webcvs to include kde-i18n directly.

Well, I wouldn't want to tell everyone to use CVSUP or tell the WebCVS
maintainer to take the additional load. But it's not the thing I was
talking about anyway. Like I said: I'm totally okay with removing all
documentation for specific programs like kscd (HTML, PS, TGZ,
everything). No question about that.

Personally, I'm also okay with removing PS and TGZ for FAQ, UserGuide,
and QuickStart. (I remember that Eric said a while back they were
put up on user request. Don't know how strong that request exactly was
-- just as I haven't seen any figures about the usage of these pages.
Anyway, my main question was about HTML _only_.)

>But www is far too big - the russian section got about 12MB - if you
>have this for 36 languages, you end up in a horrible situation. We will have
>HTML for the english faq, userguide and quickstart and everything else
>will be in source or in kde-i18n. No tgz, no ps - that can be created on
>the fly for releasing seperate packages.

Sure. Moreover www was a mess that took me months to come to grips
with. So I really appreciate the new one and the work you did there.

OTOH: I believe every language team would like to get a chance to show
at least _some_ of their work to a broader public and occasional
onlookers who just cannot be expected to install and run CVSUP and
download all the sources just to take a look at what this funny KDE
stuff is all about. And they cannot be expected to be content with just
the English versions. If they were content with English versions we
wouldn't have to translate for these people in the first place.

Problem with this approach: in the _long_ run we should have something
like the GNOME guide, I guess, ie something not only based on the
DocBook DTD, but also with a lot of screen shots. And then, I have to
admit, we could have a space problem again. But we are not there yet.

Kind regards,

Thomas