List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: moved docs finally
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1999-05-18 14:51:02

Thomas Diehl wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 1999 15:56:27 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> >My plan is to have the sources (SGML files) only in kde-i18n and
> >mirror the output of some commands back into www. But this has to
> >wait for the new DTD as I'm not going to change everything twice.
>
> I'm probably missing something. I'm not sure what difference it would
> make as regards the Web pages if the pages are based on DocBook or
> LinuxDoc. I don't know how far Rene got with his DocBook project but I
> believe it may still take a while until we get something that's ready
> for prime time.
I have exactly no idea what the new system will look like, but I'm sure
the tools will differ. That's the main point.

> >Til then I would suggest to add a "work under construction paragraph"
> >to the web pages.
>
> For instance: If we maintained HTML (and possibly TGZ) _only_ for stuff
> like FAQ, QuickStart and UserGuide you could just copy everything
> that's HTML and TGZ to www. We would at least have a _little_ more than
> a "under construction" sign for, maybe, several months. I'm afraid
> having nothing to show than a sign like this wouldn't be very appealing
> to (potential) users. Esp. compared to the pretty good looking user
> guide the GNOME guys exhibit on their site....;)

I don't think, that users judge on "is there a tgz for spanish
documentation
of kscd on www.kde.org". You can tell everyone to get cvsup and look at
kde-i18n or tell the maintainer of webcvs to include kde-i18n directly.

But www is far too big - the russian section got about 12MB - if you
have
this for 36 languages, you end up in a horrible situation. We will have
HTML for the english faq, userguide and quickstart and everything else
will be in source or in kde-i18n. No tgz, no ps - that can be created on
the fly for releasing seperate packages.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.