List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: RFC: New user interface context marker for notification titles: @title:notification/:message?
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2020-05-09 13:06:40

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau skreiv 04.05.2020 14:53:
> "@title:window" might come closest, given that this is also used usually for
> titles of dialog windows, which conceptually overlap a bit with notification
> popups, especially the interactive ones. Perhaps the definition of the scope
> could be just extended? "window" as minor term might be a bit off then, but
> possibly still works for coders & translators.
>
> Otherwise we might want a new dedicated minor category then, :notification (or
> :message?):
>    :notification - Title of a notification.
>
> What do you think?

A new category ‘@title:notification' sounds fine.

And ‘@title:window' is incorrect. In the screenshot at
https://hig.kde.org/platform/notification.html the ‘@title:window'
(i.e., the window title) is ‘Discover', while the notification title is
‘Updated Available'.

It's very useful to have such UI markers. When I see a string like
‘Failed to create hotspot %1', it looks like a normal error message
where the author has forgotten to add a full stop at the end (‘Failed to
create hotspot %1.'). So I might add one in the translation (the English
source strings are hugely inconsistent when it comes to punctuation, so
I have to do this all the time). But if I see ‘@title:notification', I
know that the message is a title, where a full stop at the end is not
appropriate (and I might remove it in the translation if it is present
in the source string).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer