List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Applying PO file changes in system
From:       Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2019-10-30 18:13:16

середа, 30 жовтня 2019 р. 19:49:55 EET Subin Siby написано:
> Hi !
>
> Messaged about this in Matrix group, but didn't receive an answer. So trying
> here 🤞
>
> We're trying to make a distro based on Kubuntu for our own language. We
> localized `kde-workspace/systemsettings._desktop_.po` for getting KDE System
> Settings (`systemsettings5`) in our language, Malayalam.
>
> We made the `systemsettings._desktop_.mo` file and put it in the
> `/usr/share/ locale/ml/` folder, but the localization is not applied to the
> System Settings app.
>
> It works for all other apps. So I think it must be a problem of
> ._desktop_.po files ? How can we apply the localizations of these 'desktop'
> files into the system ?

Hi,

The desktop files are a bit special (similar to mimetypes and appdata POs).
Every day our language script extracts data from actual desktop, appdata and
mimeinfo XML files, put them into POTs, then extract translations and put them
back into desktop, appdata.xml and MIME-types XML in KDE repos.

Once upon a time Kubuntu (like Ubuntu) patched KDE to allow downstream
Launchpad translation usage the way you described above (MOs in /usr/share/
locale). It seems now these patches are of no use.

However, you can extract the messages using some script, put them back in the
desktop files like scripty does, then create patches and packages with
translations. An example of such script (based on Python polib) can be found
here:

http://gitweb.mageia.org/software/i18n/tools/tree/desktop

Just merge you translations with the catalog created by the script then seed
the translations through the desktop files.

Best regards,
Yuri