List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Making pology python3 compatible
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2019-06-17 8:52:31

> [: Shinjo Park :]
> I tested a blind conversion of 2to3 and execution didn't worked well (also
> gave minor warnings). Running posieve on 2to3-processed files gave errors
> on pology/colors.py, possibly due to str/unicode changes and separation on
> py3. Any other parts utilizing string needs to be examined, especially
> decode() and encode() calls.

Right, that doesn't work, and 2to3 also produces too "dirty" modifications.
So the way would be to run 2to3 and examine each modification in turn, check
if it is needed at all or if it should be somewhat different. Afterwards
also manually consider most frequent kinds of alterations when going from
Python 2 to 3, where in the code such cases could be found.

> Another possibly related question: do we have some test suite for pology
> (I couldn't find it)? Even if someone manages the conversion of pology to
> Python 3, it is also needed to make sure that Python 3 version of pology
> works the same as before.

Nope, no test suite. First Python 3 version of Pology I'd make a 1.0, to
differentiate from current 0.x.

It will be a mess, that is true.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)