List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: LTS and translation and branch
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2016-10-23 8:06:52

Martin Schlander skreiv 19. okt. 2016 20:25:
> Tirsdag den 18. oktober 2016 08:32:35 skrev Weng Xuetian:
>> Right now we only have two branch stable / trunk for translation. With this
>> new LTS, is there anything gonna change?
> Iirc there was a discussion at one point. And the conclusion was not to create
> a separate translation branch for it with all the extra troubles that
> involves.
>
> That still leaves you another three months or thereabouts to complete 5.8
> translations.
>
> I personally agree with the decision. You have plenty of time to complete
> translations and we have enough branches already and svn repositories to keep
> track of as it is. My only slight concern is developers breaking string freeze
> with their patches after 5.8 has become "untranslatable".

That’s really a shame. This means that there will be over a year (from
2017-01-12 to 2018-04-10, according the current schedule) with regular
releases of 5.8 LTS, with improvements and fixes to the code, but with
no option of improving or fixing the translations.

I do see that adding new branches complicate things. But with the 5.8
LTS being a *stable* branches, I guess it would be pretty, well, stable,
with e.g. no files being renamed or moved between modules, no libraries
being merged or splitted or other things that complicate some of the
branches.

And for the (currently 22) translation teams that use the summit
workflow, there would be ~no extra work maintaining a LTS branch of
translations in addition to the four other branches we already maintain.
Teams that don’t use the summit workflow would of course have to choose
if they would want to take on the work of actively maintaining the LTS
branch too, or just to fix/backport important translation errors (yes,
translations *do* have bugs too – in the worst case mistranslations that
completely change the meaning of strings, e.g. the word ‘not’
accidentally being left out of the translation (I’ve seen it happen)).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer