List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    i18n issues in Spectacle
From:       Alexander Potashev <aspotashev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-09-06 22:44:02

Hi Boudhayan,

I'm writing to notify you of the following issues in translatable
strings in Spectacle:
 1. KDE HIG says [1] "Use an ellipsis (...) after menu items and
button labels which require user's input before completing their
action."

The following string is the case because it opens the application
selection dialog:

#: src/Gui/ExportMenu.cpp:110
msgid "Other Application"

 2. Same here:

#: src/Gui/KSMainWindow.cpp:225 src/Gui/SettingsDialog/SettingsDialog.cpp:36
msgid "Preferences"

Sorry, I'm lazy to check which one is menu item and which is window
title. I suggest the menu item to be renamed "Configure Spectacle...",
the window title be "Configure Spectacle" or just "Configure" (since "
- Spectacle" is appended anyway by KWin), preferably with a
@title:window context string [2].

 3. Term inconsistency: "monitor" in "Full Screen (All Monitors)" vs
"screen" in "Current Screen" while you're obviously referring to the
same kind of thing.

#: src/Gui/KSWidget.cpp:59
msgid "Full Screen (All Monitors)"

#: src/Gui/KSWidget.cpp:60
msgid "Current Screen"

 4. typo

#: src/Gui/KSWidget.cpp:99
msgid "Show the mouse cursor in the screeenshot image"

 5. Please use proper plurals instead of hardcoding n <= 1 ? 0 : 1 here:

#: src/Gui/SmartSpinBox.cpp:43
msgid " second"

#: src/Gui/SmartSpinBox.cpp:45
msgid " seconds"

I guess you can use i18np() for integers and another i18n() for
decimal fractions.

Thanks!

[1] https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual_Design_Group/HIG/Labels
[2] https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n_Semantics