List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Best practise with no-break spaces in strings?
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-13 11:19:46

Am Dienstag, 12. April 2016, 15:44:34 CEST schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Hm, just installed Lokalize and the display of the original string does not
> give any hint to the no-break space. Other than e.g. KWrite/Kate. Sigh.
> Filing another bug then :)

Learned that Lokalize actually does highlight of e.g. the no-break space. Just
with my workspace color scheme this was not clearly visible :) (changed my bug
report 361670 to request improving the display, as this is also an issue with
the default Plasma 5.6 color theme).

So seems using i18n() with a UTF-8 no-break space is also (almost) nicely
supported by actual translation tools, at least Lokalize. Thus, unless you
tell me explicitely "Don't!", will now go and use the i18n + UTF-char based
approach to have no-break chars in translated strings :)

Still the question is: should this be recommended over xi18n + &nbsp;? What do
other translation teams think? Please tell.
I am most-elegant-technology-oriented with what I prefer, so chance is I miss
out most-elegant-human-handling :)

Cheers
Friedrich