List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Unified KDE GUI localization server
From:       Viorel-Cătălin Răpițeanu <rapiteanu () linux ! com>
Date:       2015-10-26 22:44:07

> Well, if a person finds it too difficult to learn to use a mailing list
(basically press ‘Get new messages' and perhaps the ‘Reply' and ‘Send'
button) or to use SVN (basically *two* commands, ‘svn up' and ‘svn commit',
or use a graphical UI), I very much doubt they're suited for translating
highly technical software like KDE.

From my limited experience, most new translators as I've managed to see are
just regular guys that don't want to translate complex technical
documentation of complex interfaces. They just want to translate the big
untranslated string (eg. 'Type to search' text from the dashboard) from a
visible component. After their small and insignificant change was merged,
they get a sense of accomplishment, thing that makes them try to translate
more. They usually don't have a technical background, so forcing them to
understand how SVN works, what program to use for translation and who to
mail to have their change submitted is, imho, a bit to much. I always seen
translation as an easy step that anyone can make to join a community.

> Actually, using offline translation tools like Lokalize is *much* more
efficient than current Web-based tools.
I agree on this part. Trying to translate large projects in a GUI is
inefficient if you know how to use an program for offline translations. The
GUI translation server is for allowing new inexperienced translators to
join by offering them a nice learning curve. In time they will realize on
their own that offline translation is more efficient, but this will learn
on their own after they are invested enough in the project. I think that a
good example for this is the LibreOffice translation server.