List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Unified KDE GUI localization server
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2015-10-26 21:57:13

Den 26. okt. 2015 19:39, Viorel-Cătălin Răpițeanu skreiv:
> I find it completely unnecessary for a translator to know how to use a
> mailing list or SVN just to contribute to the translation of a software.

Well, if a person finds it too difficult to learn to use a mailing list
(basically press ‘Get new messages' and perhaps the ‘Reply' and ‘Send'
button) or to use SVN (basically *two* commands, ‘svn up' and ‘svn
commit', or use a graphical UI), I very much doubt they're suited for
translating highly technical software like KDE.

> I know that each team can create it's own server for translation, but
> doing things these way, is like killing languages with small
> communities that don't have a tech wise guy to make this set-up.

Actually, using offline translation tools like Lokalize is *much* more
efficient than current Web-based tools. It may very well be that some
people prefer Web-based tools, but note that they're more suitable for
*larger* translation teams, that have the (human) resources to work with
relatively inefficient tools. Smaller teams will be much more productive
using Lokalize. I would also recommend using the summit workflow, which
is very useful for smaller teams (so you don't have to retranslate files
for the four branches, or manually manage and merge translations for the
branches).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer