List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Unified KDE GUI localization server
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-26 21:38:41

Mandag den 26. oktober 2015 21:52:05 skrev Albert Astals Cid:
> El Monday 26 October 2015, a les 20:39:32, Viorel-Cătălin Răpițeanu va
> escriure:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it planned or possible for KDE to have a central translation server
> > with
> > an easy to use GUI?
> >
> > I find it completely unnecessary for a translator to know how to use a
> > mailing list or SVN just to contribute to the translation of a software.
> > Similar solutions were already implemented by projects like GNOME and
> > LibreOffice (with Pootle) and are working great.
> >
> > I know that each team can create it's own server for translation, but
> > doing
> > things these way, is like killing languages with small communities that
> > don't have a tech wise guy to make this set-up.
> >
> > Creating a central unified translation place just like GNOME or
> > LibreOffice
> > will improve the visibility of the project, let the translators focus only
> > on translations and also help existing or new smaller teams.
>
> Ovidiu volunteered to test if there's a web based system that can match our
> requirements as per
>
> https://community.kde.org/Akademy/2015/Monday/KDE_l10n_and_i18n
>
> You may want to talk to him to help him with it.

openSUSE are experimenting with (and enhancing) some FOSS solution called
Weblate on https://l10n.opensuse.org/

It is in pre-beta stage, but as far as web interfaces go, it's not looking too
bad. And it works with git, PO and POT files etc. underneath the surface.

As long as it can coexist with "normal" VCS access, so you can check out files
and work effectively offline etc., it might be nice to have something like that.