List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Source of time zone translations for the digital clock
From:       John Layt <jlayt () kde ! org>
Date:       2015-10-25 23:53:21

On 25 October 2015 at 23:01, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> El Friday 23 October 2015, a les 08:01:17, Karl Ove Hufthammer va escriure:
>> OK. So (sometime) in the future, the timezone settings in the KDE system
>> settings won't use this file anymore? But then what *will* it use as a
>> source for names of continents, countries and major cities in the world?
>> A new library? That is, a *third* file with ~700 strings duplicated
>> (from the clock applet) to translate?
>
> That is a good question and i have no idea about it, you may want to raise it
> in the plasma or kde-frameworks mailing lists.

I can't speak for what Plasma plan to do with the clock, but the new
QTimeZone support in Qt5 provides api to obtain various localised
forms of the time zone name. If your installed Qt5 is compiled against
ICU (which by default it should be) then the ICU translations will be
used. In theory we will not need to provide translations ourselves
unless the ICU ones are found to be deficient in some way.

The names of countries / continents / cities for uses outside of time
zones are a different matter, I've been unable to get anything
satisfactory into Qt as yet, we still have a need for proper ISO code
support that I may one day finish.

John.