List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KIO jobs
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-01-08 17:34:33

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 08 January 2015 19:40:35 Safa Alfulaij wrote:
> > Hello.
> >

> > I have a question about the KIO jobs (Marked with @title job), I've seen
> > string in the Plasma notifications saying something like "[job]
> finished".
> >
> > The problem is that the job title is translated and the finished word
> > isn't, Which made the string half translated.
> >
> > I would like to ask about the tense the jobs are.
> >

> > Also don't you see that splitting strings is a bad idea? Each language
> has
> > it's own rules and should be treated separately. In Gnome there is a
> > guideline that the developers must never split sentences:
> >
> https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Never%20split%20sent
> > ences
> >
> > There were a discussion about a string in the Gnome software center "%d
> > software, %d addons", And the developer don't know what to do because of
> > the guideline. I'm giving Gnome as an example only.
>
> The same guideline exists in KDE. String puzzles, as they are often called,
> are frowned upon. Nevertheless, quite often us developers introduce them
> anyways, because we forget about the issues they introduce. Please,
> whenever
> you find anything like that report a bug and someone will improve the
> situation. We care about proper i18n.

It's not that we forget but sometimes there's no choice really. This
particular
case is exactly that. The job name comes from kio/application. We don't know
what it will be. Kio itself have no support for "Job finished" strings, so
in order
to show that notification, we have to do "%1 finished". And given that
random
jobs can exist, the only way would be to force every non-quiet job to
actually
fill in job name, job finished string, job cancelled string.

But, we don't live in an ideal world.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer