List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KIO jobs
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2015-01-08 16:57:48

On Thursday 08 January 2015 19:40:35 Safa Alfulaij wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I have a question about the KIO jobs (Marked with @title job), I've seen a
> string in the Plasma notifications saying something like "[job] finished".
>
> The problem is that the job title is translated and the finished word
> isn't, Which made the string half translated.
>
> I would like to ask about the tense the jobs are.
>

> Also don't you see that splitting strings is a bad idea? Each language has
> it's own rules and should be treated separately. In Gnome there is a
> guideline that the developers must never split sentences:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Never%20split%20sent
> ences
>
> There were a discussion about a string in the Gnome software center "%d
> software, %d addons", And the developer don't know what to do because of
> the guideline. I'm giving Gnome as an example only.

The same guideline exists in KDE. String puzzles, as they are often called,
are frowned upon. Nevertheless, quite often us developers introduce them
anyways, because we forget about the issues they introduce. Please, whenever
you find anything like that report a bug and someone will improve the
situation. We care about proper i18n.

That said, I sadly cannot help you with the issue you point out above. Maybe
you should ask on the plasma development mailing list instead?

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de