List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation of application.desktop files
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-11-16 23:36:58

El Diumenge, 16 de novembre de 2014, a les 21:41:07, Chusslove Illich va
escriure:
> > [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> > Meh damnit you're right, this is kind of impossible to check [...]
> >
> > So i guess just ignore and expect originals to be correct and people just
> > translate like the original?
>
> Well, I propose adding the convention that "Keywords" strings must not
> contain commas, and "X-KDE-Keywords" strings must not contain semicolons.
> The rationale is that it is unlikely anyone will need these characters as
> parts of keywords, while limiting them as described will enable catching the
> most frequent errors. (This is that case where a corner capability results
> in overwhelmingly more errors than actual uses, so better prohibit it.)
>
> I'm only doubting whether to require this in translation no matter the
> original, or only if the original is conforming.

I'd say only complain if the original follows those rules, otherwise it's
going to be pretty confusing if the original has
"Hue;Colors, Skin and Hue;Colors;Skin;"
and we start complaining that the translations has , in the text.

Cheers,
  Albert